In the fall of 2022, the Lansing School District will launch the Ebersole Institute for Environmental Education. This one-of-a-kind program is specifically designed for students looking for adventure through a non-traditional senior year experience. While love of the outdoors is not required, by the end of this experience students will walk away with a profound respect for the places we live and a better understanding of how to manage and protect them.
Below you will find a series of frequently asked questions. Simply click on the "+" button to expand the tab and learn more about this exciting program. If you have any other questions or need any additional information please do not hesitate to contact me at 517-755-5001.
With gratitude and appreciation, Ben Botwinski (Ebersole Director)
Click HERE to access the Ebersole Institute for Environmental Education rack card.
Who can participate in this program?
This program is open to any senior, or fourth year high school, student that is currently enrolled in the Lansing School District. Ideal candidates would be students that:
- Are excited about learning in a hands-on, minds-on way;
- Are ready to learn more about the natural world and how best to manage and protect it;
- Are looking for a non-traditional senior year experience; and
- Are ready for a "soft launch" into living away from home.
As space in this unique program is limited to 40 students, 20 males and 20 females, we will give preference to students that:
- Are off-track to graduate and in need additional time, attention, and support; and
- Are overcoming hardship or other exceptionally challenging life circumstance.
What can you expect during the 2022-23 school year?
Individualized Graduation Plan (IGP):
Each EIEE student will work with a graduation specialist to create an IGP. The IGP will serve as a basis for planning their schedule and tracking progress towards graduation.
Virtual Academic Support & Mentorship:
Throughout the first semester EIEE students will have access to virtual academic supports and mentorship. This will look like a series of scheduled weekly virtual check-ins (1-on-1), virtual office hour drop-in opportunities (1-on-1), and planned virtual tutoring sessions (small groups).
Throughout the first semester there will be a series of events to bring EIEE students together for team-building activities and informational sessions.
Throughout the first semester there will also be a series of planned Ebersole-based programs for EIEE students. These will occur on days off from regular school. Students will have an opportunity to see progress on the facilities, get familiar with the grounds, and do some team-building.
Semester-Long Intensive at Ebersole:
During the second semester (January 2023 to June 2023) EIEE students will stay, free of charge, at Ebersole full-time Monday through Friday, returning home at the end of the school day on Friday afternoons. While onsite, students will have the opportunity to participate in their core and elective courses, course intensives to earn extra credits towards graduation, and ample environmental education-based enrichment and internship opportunities.
Does it cost any money to participate in this program?
No. Participation in the Ebersole Institute for Environmental Education is complete free for Lansing School District students. Second semester, when students move onsite Monday through Friday, transportation to and from Ebersole will be provided. In addition, students will receive breakfast, lunch, dinner and an evening snack.
Interested in enrolling in this program?
Below you will find details about the enrollment process and timeline. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call the Ebersole Center at 517-755-5001.
Enrollment Process and Timeline:
- Online Interest Form. Interested students can complete the online Ebersole Institute interest form by clicking HERE. We will be accepting interest forms through the middle of June 2022.
- Ebersole Institute Application. After interest forms are reviewed, we will reach out to students and families to complete a longer Ebersole Institute application. This application will include questions about academic history and commitment, personal interests, reasons for wanting to attend the Institute, etc. We will be accepting applications through the end of July 2022.
- Virtual Interviews. Once the applications are reviewed, we will reach out to students and families for a brief virtual interview/information session to learn more about the program and determine if it will be a good fit. We plan to schedule these interviews/information sessions in early to mid August.
- Selection Offers. We anticipate extending offers to students to join the Ebersole Institute by mid to late August.
Our intent is to have students identified and the necessary program elements and supports in place prior to the start of the first semester.