Enrollment & Records

Looking to enroll your student in the Lansing School District? Visit our Enrollment page!

Record requests for the Lansing School District need to be emailed to PACE@lansingschools.net

PDF DocumentRecords Request Form

If you were a former student of the Lansing School District, please use the above form to request copies of your records or transcripts. Requests for records can also be done in person at our office.

Please mail it along with a copy of your picture identification and check or money order payable to:

Lansing School District
2400 Pattengill Ave.
Lansing, MI 48910
P (517) 755-2820
F (517) 755-2829

NOTE: Please allow 5 business days processing time and up to 30 business days at the beginning and end of each semester.

Guidelines for Releasing Information

All requests for records must be received in writing and accompanied by a signed release.  Student records are not to be released to protective service workers, court case workers or the police without a signed release.* 

Records for students 18 years of age or older may not be released to the parent unless you have a signed release from the student.  (Exception:  Parent is claiming student as a dependent for federal income tax purposes). A student under the age of 18 may not have a copy of his/her record. The parent/guardian must request the copy in writing. Parent requesting information must appear on student's certified birth certificate.

Transfer of School Records:  Districts are required to provide the records within 30 days after receipt of the request.  Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) the previous district may send the records to the requesting district without parental consent.  Note:  Public school districts may not withhold a student's record for failure to pay fees.

A Foster Placement Memo is a district form used in instances where a child has been placed in the home of a foster parent through an approved agency.

A copy of the placement letter which authorizes the placement of the child in your home is required.  The letter should be on the agency's letterhead paper.

Please bring valid photo identification with you such as a driver's license.

You will be given a memo authorizing the enrollment of your foster child in to school.  You will need to take this form with you to the school for enrollment.  The school may require additional forms i.e. birth certificate, immunization records, and/or proof of residency.

Any changes in foster placement requires renewal of this process.

An authorizing memo will be issued for each enrolling student.

Description of Service

A Student Residency Affidavit Form is a district form used in instances where the child is considered McKinney-Vento per the following definition: 

Children and youth who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence and includes children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals.  

Student, Parent/Legal Guardian and/or other responsible individual should report to the school and complete a Student Residency Affidavit form along with his/her enrollment form.  

All Student Residency Affidavit forms are valid only through the remainder of the current school year. 

This process must be renewed each school year. One form must be filled out completely for each family. 

The original Student Residency Affidavit form should be immediately faxed or emailed to the Office of School Culture F.O.R.T. Program.

The fax number is 571-755-2839.

If additional information is requested, refer them to the Lansing School District liaison, Rose Taphouse, Student Services Coordinator, at (517) 755-2813.

You can also visit the Families Overcoming Rough Times website for more information.

Work Permit

Any minor under the age of 18 and not specifically exempted from the Youth Employment Standards Act (P.A. 90 of 1978) must have a work permit completed.  A completed form permits a minor to be employed only by the employer listed in Section I of the work permit. Appropriate form must be used according to age of child. 
Pink form to be used for 15 years old and under. 
Yellow form to be used for 16 and 17 years old. 

Form is divided into three sections:

Section I must be completed by employer.  All areas must be completed. Job duties and hours of employment must be completed and be within guidelines as listed on backside of work permit form.  If hours of work are outside regular allotted hours, then employer must attach Department of Labor deviation form with current expiration date.

Section II must be completed by student.  All areas must be completed before returning to Pupil Accounting.  Proof or evidence of age is required.  (examples:  birth certificate, driver's license--refer to work permit form for complete list)  Student must sign in front of authorizing Pupil Accounting official.

Section III is completed by the authorizing Pupil Accounting official after student has provided proof or evidence of age and all other areas of form have been completed.

Pupil Accounting officials may authorize forms for students no longer enrolled in school or when schools are closed for winter, spring or summer break. 

Note: Students currently enrolled must have form signed by authorized staff in the school they attend.

Questions regarding appropriate work not described on form should be addressed to the Department of Labor by calling (517) 322-1825.

11,500 Enrollment by 2025
85% Graduation Rate by 2025
90% Attendance by 2025